Gray AE is looking to add a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to our Birmingham, AL Office.
Why Gray AE?
Gray is a family-owned, fully integrated global service provider specializing in engineering, design, construction, digital, equipment manufacturing, and real estate services. Deeply rooted in EAC services, Gray serves both domestic and international customers across our core markets: Food & Beverage, Manufacturing, Automotive, Distribution, Mission Critical, and Commercial. At Gray, our purpose is to make a positive difference in people's lives and build a better future.
Gray AE, the design arm of Gray, is a top-ranked firm offering architecture and engineering services across the globe. Made up of multidisciplinary teams of architects, engineers, and project managers, these collaborative teams work every day to provide unique, customized solutions for our customers.
It’s the spirit of our people – the passion, commitment, and a great team environment – that makes our company a great place to work.
Job Summary: The Senior Mechanical/Plumbing Engineer is responsible for leading cross-disciplinary design teams working on HVAC and plumbing projects. In addition to project management responsibilities, the Senior Engineer will contribute to the design team based on expertise and experience in design. This individual will coordinate all design activities of the discipline team, interface with key cross-functional groups (QC, etc.), and report project status for the assigned projects. Experience in design of food and beverage manufacturing facilities including knowledge and experience in hygienic design principles, refrigeration systems, compressed gas systems, boiler/steam systems, glycol systems, heat recovery systems, and process waste systems highly desired.
Duties and Functions:
• Apply standard engineering design principles and methodologies as well as applicable codes in the preparation of construction documents.
• Lead conceptual and schematic design phases of projects to ensure design fundamentals meet client expectations and code requirements.
• Prepare or direct development of design documentation including drawings, calculations, specifications, reports, etc.
• Prepare or direct development of specifications, working drawings, instructions, and other related documents.
• Maintain complete and orderly project files and documentation.
• Participate in the QC process by reviewing drawings and evaluating the need for design changes; make appropriate recommendations.
• Perform design reviews as part of the QC process.
• Ensure that production of drawings, specifications, reports, and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
• Maintain current knowledge of National electrical codes as well as design and construction procedures to meet changing priorities.
• Develop and communicate to the design team a project budget and timeline to ensure a timely, cost effective delivery of the engineering design.
• Lead “Kick Off” meetings clearly define the scope of work and project goals.
• Monitor the financial performance of the project and identify areas of ‘scope creep’ for Add Service opportunities; coordinate with the customer or client manager to successfully address the issue.
• Communicate directly with client on projects managed.
• Work with the Project Accountant in the preparation of invoices and other project documentation.
• Assist in presentations to prospective clients. Participate in client presentations as needed
• Prepare proposals in response to Requests for Quotations (RFQs) including development of competitive pricing.
• Coordinate with Business Development team to identify additional proposal and service opportunities.
Mentoring and Training
• Assist in the professional development of junior engineers and designers through individual mentoring and participation in the firm’s various internal training programs.
• Participate in continual process improvement through leadership in initiative teams, task committees, training sessions and other special efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree in applicable discipline
• Professional Engineer (PE) designation
• Minimum of 10 years related experience
• Experience leading cross-disciplinary design teams and the ability to mentor junior engineers and designers to help them advance their technical skills.
• Strong aptitude in engineering design.
• Strong computer skills (AutoCAD, REVIT, BIM360, Plant 3D, Microsoft Office).
• Well developed, detail oriented organizational skills.
• Ability to work with management to set and achieve goals based on the client’s priorities and project objectives.
• Support internal and external customers.
• Ability to work as part of a design team as well as independently.